Are you wondering what backlinks are and how to get it to your WordPress site?
As a beginner on WordPress, you need to think about it if you want traffic from search engines.
Backlinks for a given web resource is a link from some other website to that web resource. A web resource may be a website, web page, or web directory. A backlink is a reference comparable to a citation. Let make it simple,
Backlinks are links from two different website passing juice from one website to another. Search engines like Google, Bing, Yandex and Baidu uses backlink as a ranking signal because when one website links to another, they believe the content is worthy of been at the top.
- Backlinks help in getting better search engine rankings.
- Search engine bots discover new webpages by following backlinks from existing webpages. Only when they’ve discovered your site can they crawl your site effectively.
- One of the major benefits of backlinks is that they help get referral traffic. Basically, a person who is reading a post may click on links in the post to find out more about the topic at hand.
- It passes Juice to your Webpage
- It Increases your Domain Authority and Page Authority which is Measured by Moz tools
- It help increasing Your Ahref Rankings though they are not tools used by google to rank websites
We basically have two types of Backlinks, they are; Do follow Backlinks and No follow Backlinks
Dofollow backlinks pass SEO ”link juice” to help sites gain authority and rank for keywords over time in the post. They are some major indicators of good SEO. Without dofollow backlinks, it’s harder to rank for competitive keywords. This kind of backlink can help improve your search engine rankings.
There are dofollow links that are considered being bad or ‘toxic’. These links come from suspicious sites or are gained by breaking the search engine terms of service.
This may cause Google to penalize or even de-index your site. Remember, it’s not about the quantity of backlinks, but rather the quality that makes the difference in ranking.
A nofollow link is a link that does not count as a point in the page’s favor, does not boost PageRank. This happen when the person doing the linking plays with the HTML to intentionally tell Google not to make the link relevant for your website.
There are many ways to get backlinks but few ways to get quality backlinks, and they are;
- Add links to your site on your social media profiles.
- Do a Google search for a post that’s already ranking well and then improve and expand it.
- Through comments on different website, that is why most of the time you get lots of spamming comments on your new site when you start ranking on google or any other search engines.
- Write the ultimate guide posts. These are very long posts containing several thousand words and cover every angle of the topic.
- Write guest posts on other blogs and websites
- Contact influencers in your niche or industry and tell them about an article on your site that they may want to link to.
- Interview influencers in your industry and send them a link, no doubt they will link back to your site.
- Paying for backlinks is the equivalent to buying pagerank, which isn’t how the internet is supposed to work. You can pay for ads in the hopes your ranking will increase, but it’s not a guarantee. Buying backlinks is guaranteeing a spike in your ranking, which is precisely why Google punishes it so severely. Avoid buying links just for the purpose of pointing to your site.
- Also referred to as “link exchanges,” reciprocal linking refers to entering into an agreement with another site to cross-link to each other’s sites.
- If you find yourself hyperlink every single keyword to the same page on your website, do yourself a favor and stop. Stop anchor text spamming
There are different SEO tools you can use to check if the link linking to your website are either dofollow or nofollow backlinks. You can read our guide on tools to check your SEO rankings.You can use Google Search Console to help grow your site and see your backlinks, but it can take a lot of time and it’s limited on what it can do.
Keeping an eye on your backlinks is very important. Google Webmaster Guidelines require you to ask toxic website owners to remove their links from your site. If you don’t, then Google can penalize your website, and your page rank will begin to drop in search results.
Please, don’t treat your backlinks strategy as a contest to get the most links pointing to your site. Be mindful of what your audience wants to see from you while building backlinks that service your campaigns. It’s more important that you spend time crafting the right content, being newsworthy, and doing a sprinkling of guest blogging than to link from every single place you can think of.