Are you having errors on your WordPress site like error 301, 307, 302, 404 etc and you have been trying to solve this for long. Don’t panic, we would help you out with all your errors. But we would like to solve this issues one after the order as a beginner. So we will cover what Redirect 301 is, how to create a redirect 301 in WordPress, why do you need, and when you should use 301 redirects.
What is Redirect 301 on WordPress
- 1 What is Redirect 301 on WordPress
- 2 Why You Need Redirect 301 on your WordPress Sites
- 3 Watch Video on How to Create Simple 301 Redirect on WordPress
- 4 How to Create Redirects in WordPress
A 301 Moved Permanently is an HTTP response status code indicating that the requested resource has been permanently moved to a new URL provided by the Location response header.
Why You Need Redirect 301 on your WordPress Sites
There are reasons why you need Redirect 301, you will agree with me that redirect 301 is needed on your website;
- When You are planning on changing the permalinks of your post or page then you need a redirect.
- You need a redirect when moving your old page’s traffic and backlink (SEO) strengths to be transferred on to the new page. You can read our guide on step by step WordPress SEO for beginner’s
- You need to create a redirect when you are planning on deleting a post or page in favor of new content.
- You need 301 redirects when your site or a page on your site has been moved and you want to point the user to a new page instead. You can read our guide on how to move your site from Blogger to WordPress without losing organic traffic.
- You need to redirect so that it will not cause your users to see a 404 not found error. Which is not only bad for users, but it can also impact your site’s SEO and hurt your search engine rankings.
Watch Video on How to Create Simple 301 Redirect on WordPress
To make it easy, we have created a video tutorial on How to Create Simple 301 Redirect on WordPress.
How to Create Redirects in WordPress
Using WordPress Plugins
Using SEO Plugins such as Rankmath and Yoast
These two plugins come with redirection tools. To redirect with rankmath, go to Settings >> Redirection >> debug Redirection >> Save.
To redirect with Yoast SEO, go to WordPress dashboard >> SEO >> Redirect >> Save
There are plugins for Redirection for WordPress users if you don’t want to use SEO Redirection tools. Install and activate the plugin. Once activated, visit Tools » Redirection to setup your redirects.
Redirection plugin not only allows you to setup redirects, it also helps you find out 404 errors on your WordPress site.
Simple 301 redirect
Using Simple 301 Redirect makes 301 Redirects simple. Install and activate the plugin and then visit Settings » 301 Redirects to add your URLs. This plugins also finds out 404 errors on your site.
Safe Redirect Manager
Safe Redirect Manager is another easy-to-use WordPress redirect plugin for setting up both 301 and 302 redirects.
Install the Plugin and activate, go to Tools >> Safe Redirect manager >> Create Redirect Rule >> save.
If you have issue on installing plugins on your WordPress site, you can read our guide on step by step to install a WordPress plugin.
301 Redirects in WordPress using .htaccess
Using this .htaccess is very risky if you don’t really know about coding, but if you are sure of yourself you can do it.
Note; Keep in mind that a small mistake in your .htaccess code can make your WordPress site inaccessible, and it may start showing Internal Server Error. So it is advice able to back up your website so that you can reverse back if the issue is not resolved.
Steps to setup 301 Redirect using .htaccess code
- Connect to your website using an FTP client. The .htaccess file resides in your WordPress site’s root directory.
- It is advice able to edit .htaccess file in any plain text editor like Notepad.
- simple redirect, where we are trying to send a user visiting an old post to a new post.
Redirect 301 /a-very-old-post/ http://yoursite.com/a-very-new-post/
- You can add the code above preferably at the end of your .htaccess file.
That is all on WordPress 301 Redirection, if you have any issue on this, you can use our comment session or join our delegate on facebook to solve any issues related to WordPress and subscribe to our YouTube Channel for WordPress video tutorials.